2.24.2008

Drake's Colorado Cowboy Cookies

I lived in Colorado for over 20 years so I feel a connection to anything with a name like Colorado Cowboy Cookies. The original recipe can be found on epicurious.com but I've made a few modifications that I think you'll like. One is the switch from all purpose flour to whole wheat pastry flour, which yielded wonderful results.

The other modifications have to do with the sugar. The original recipe calls for 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dark brown sugar. I have made these cookies many times but I always use light brown sugar because that's what I have around. However, after making the Pots of Gold recipe on Orangette's blog (absolutely to die for!) I had some dark muscovado sugar left over so I used 2 tablespoons of this for a really tasty result. If you can't find it at a local grocery you can order it online at indiatree.com. Lastly, I did not use white sugar -- instead I used cane sugar (a sort of light brown colored sugar you can often find in the bulk section).

Actually, now that I'm looking at the recipe I realize I also changed the nuts, I don't chill the dough for an hour and I don't bake them the way they say to. The baking modification has to do with this very finicky antique -- read: OLD -- stove we own (which I cannot stand beyond words but oh let's save that topic for another day).

So, I admit to having turned the recipe inside out but hey, that's the fun of cooking -- being creative and in the moment and ending up with something that goes down really well with a glass of milk...and a pair of cowboy boots.


Drake's Colorado Cowboy Cookies
Original recipe from Bon Appetit: inspirations theirs, modifications mine.

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup cane sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (depending on how much you like chocolate)
1 cup chopped toasted pecans (can substitute walnuts if you prefer)

Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and all sugars in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating to combine. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients and mix. Repeat with other half just until blended.

I line my baking sheets with parchment paper, which is the cooking god's gift to mankind. Drop healthy tablespoons of dough onto the sheet leaving a little room between them (they don't spread a lot) and flatten them just a bit with your fingers. Bake about 8 minutes at 350 degrees F, longer if needed to get golden brown on the bottom and just around the edges. Remove from pan when done. I always put my cookies on a cut up paper bag to cool. Enjoy!

No comments: